Clutter-free living. Many satisfied clients.
TERRI’S TIP DECEMBER 2018
Moving Tips: Especially if you’re a
new renter and on a budget
The top 3 tips in this article I definitely agree with and NOT procrastinating and waiting until the last minute is key. You might think you don’t own a lot of things, but you probably have more than you think. And items you no longer need/use/love and some things you need to acquire. Enlist the help of friends; book a mover; hire a Professional Organizer. And have an alternate plan if things go awry.
Figure out your layout and if your current furniture will fit both through the doors, up the stairs, and in the unit. And note the location of plugs and cable outlets.
Your move will probably go longer and cost more than you anticipate. You can keep costs down with new acquisitions by shopping on Craig’s List, Next Door, or your local thrift shops for great finds. (I, myself, found great organizing items to use in my new apartment at the Salvation Army on Clybourn for low prices when I moved from a smaller apartment.)
Declutter BEFORE you move. Call me to help!
Contact your new building about reserving elevator, call utility companies, change of address, etc. A good checklist can be found in the complete article.
Pack with clean, brown packing paper. Your items will break if they aren’t packed properly!
Imagine you’ll be on a trip for a few days and pack everything you need in a small suitcase as it might take you several days to unpack boxes and find what you need. (I learned this the hard way by packing my vitamins and not finding them for almost a week!)
Moving day is stressful. Be rested and hydrated and fed. Monitor the movers to put boxes where they belong so you’re not having to relocate them up/down stairs to get them where they belong.
New Place? Check out Moving Tips for New Renters
Check monthly for Terri’s advice on residential professional organizing!
- July 2017: Even your organizer needs to get organized!
- June 2017: I want to use my home office again!
- May 2017: I couldn’t have done this by myself
- April 2017: Tips for closets of all kinds
- March 2017: Living in the same apartment for 20 years
- February 1, 2017: Helping a Busy Working Mom
- January 1, 2017: Simple Living
- Dec. 26, 16: After Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza tip
- December 19, 2016: Under Bed Storage
- December 12, 2016: Cooking Tip
- December 5, 2016: Keep Travel Items Up-to-Date
- November 21, 2016: Time Management
- November 14, 2016: Errand Efficiency
- November 7, 2016: Proper Disposal of Medications
- October 31, '16: Don’t Buy in Bulk
- September 19, 2016: Use up Consumables
- September 12, 2016: Small toiletries
- Sep 5, 2016: Organize for 10-15 minutes every day
- August 29, 2016: Kitchen Clutter
- August 22, 2016: Dealing with Memorabilia
- August 15, 2016: Desk Top File Sorter